Read Write Inc at Weston Mill
Our pupils learn to read and write effectively and quickly using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme.
We teach pupils to:
- decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills
- read ‘tricky’ words on sight
- understand what they read
- read aloud with fluency and expression
- write confidently, with a strong focus on vocabulary and grammar
- spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words
- acquire good handwriting.
In addition, we teach pupils to work effectively with a partner to explain and consolidate what they are learning. This provides the teacher with opportunities to assess learning and to pick up on difficulties, such as pupils’ poor articulation, or problems with blending or alphabetic code knowledge.
Children are groups according to their progress in reading rather than their writing. This is because it is known that pupils’ progress in writing will lag behind progress in reading, especially for those whose motor skills are less well developed.
For those children on the RWI programme, the lessons prove a good way to start the day, with a clear structure and approach to learning. The consistency across the groups allow children to move from one group to another with ease.
For more information about RWI or useful parent videos to guide you to the approaches used in class, please click on the link below.